- The airline industry would not exist had Wright brothers not taken off on their first powered flight on December 17, 1903
- The first stage of a rocket landed back to earth a year ago on December 23.
- The internet age would not exist had the first transistor not been built 69 years ago on December 23.
- The Curies discovered Radium on Dec 21, 118 years ago.
- Medical imaging would not be a thing if 121 years ago on December 22, the first X-Ray photo of a hand had not been taken
- Hollywood and the media industry would not exist if 121 years ago on December 28 the first commercial showing of a movie had not been shown.
For different reasons, the winter break/solstice is a good time for getting stuff done and focusing on small or large projects. Some of them lead to discoveries and/or momentous firsts. This year is no exception with a few days before the solstice Clive Brown, the CTO of Oxford Nanopore decided to build his own genome through self sequencing. From the read me on his experiment on Github.
So far as I am aware this is the first full coverage Human Genome sequenced by the individual who provided the input sample (ONT-HG1). This may prove significant in future.
The last sentence is obviously a rather typical self-effacing affirmation also known as "British understatement".
And you, what are you waiting for ?
Liked this entry ? subscribe to Nuit Blanche's feed, there's more where that came from. You can also subscribe to Nuit Blanche by Email, explore the Big Picture in Compressive Sensing or the Matrix Factorization Jungle and join the conversations on compressive sensing, advanced matrix factorization and calibration issues on Linkedin.