It's Transit time ! Masaaki mentions the transit of Venus coming up today or tomorrow depending on where you are. More info here. You may recall my recent Ground Based Indirect Imaging of Venus Atmosphere during the upcoming Venus Transit ?. Also Nuit Blanche somehow covered the previous Venus Transit the last time it occurred in 2004. As it turns out, this transit will help the RHESSI folks calibrate their coded aperture camera (coded aperture cameras are part of the generic compressive imager family) Next transit is Mercury in 2016.
In Automated Word Puzzle Generation via Topic Dictionaries, we could note that OSDL has discrimintive properties on par with Latent Dirichlet Allocation which happens to be one of the algorithm that has taken over most implementation on Kaggle and the underlying reason for the success of Prismatic (Why Prismatic Goes Faster With Clojure)
- FREAK implementation on Github (1-bit Quantized Difference of Gaussians Descriptor)
- Bound-Optimization based Block Space Bayesian Learning
which led me to write about Why Does Structured Sparsity Change the Game ? We also had the iTWiST presentations and another episode of Cable and Igor's adventure in Matrix Factorization (CAI: How many lightbulbs does it take to locate somebody ?). We also had the following very interesting entries:
- Muthu mentions different upcoming meetings
- Gregory mentions a Coffee can radar at IRF Kiruna, Sweden, April 2012
- Dustin does a review On Signal Reconstruction Without Phase
- Ahmet Coskun now has a blog Biophotonics Review where he talks about Speckle-free laser imaging using random laser illumination
- Sergey shows his arxiv picks.
- Pierre set a new licence for FREAK but there was a very interesting discussion on FREAK earlier.
- After the Nuit Blanche effect, Zhilin had to add some answers to his previous code release the following explanations un More About the BSBL Codes and Demo Files for Telemonitoring of Physiological Signals where he answers the following five points
1. Why provided the sensing matrix Phi in the software package?
2. Can the demo files for telemonitoring of fetal ECG be directly used in a telemonitoring system?
3. Have you made any real telemonitoring systems using the algorithm?
4. Can BSBL-BO work well when used in the in-direct recovery way (i.e. first recovering the representation coefficients of the signal in some transformed domain, and then recovering the original signal)?
5. Speed Improvement
Question 3 is interesting in many respects. One of them is the fact that Pierre told me that they would probably look into it for the current system they have ( apart from this, he pointed out where most of the sensing power originated from in his compressive system). But then again, forget about wires, here is Eulerian Video Magnification for Revealing Subtle Changes in the World by Hao-Yu Wu, Michael Rubinstein, Eugene Shih, John Guttag, Frédo Durand, William T. Freeman